Every now and then, I read a blog post. The rest of the time I just skim read.
And every now and then, one of those blog posts knocks me off my feet.
Like this one did.
Go read it. Don’t just skim over the link.
I’ve realised that I don’t push myself beyond my limits. I don’t strive to extend my mind. I’m content with mediocrity.
Or, even worse, I don’t even realise that I am mediocre! Hey, I’m a med student. I use my brain all day, every day. I’m supposed to be clever. Why would I need to think more? I’m okay like I am, right?
When it comes to the things of God, I am like a little baby. I don’t read hard things, so I don’t think hard things. Wait! Scratch that. I don’t read, so I don’t think.
That’s got to change.
Hence, my reading list for 2011:
- The Bible. Last year, I started reading through the Bible as part of a 6-month Bible reading challenge. Now, 12 months later, I’m still not finished. I’m probably only about half way. This year, I’m going to finish. Busyness is no excuse!
- Don’t Waste Your Life – John Piper
- Elijah – A.W. Pink
- Knowing God – J.I. Packer
- Love walked among us – Paul E. Miller
- The Screwtape Letters – C.S. Lewis
Welcome to 2011. The year when I will read and I will think. Join me.